Well, it’s been another weird winter for the U.S.! Last year, flight schedules were all in disarray while some states were buried in feet of snow and this year, some of those same places never even accumulated enough snow to cover the blades of grass. Even if it was mild by comparison, we are all glad to be at the tail end of it. And what better way to celebrate the end of winter than to take a spring break trip?
Whether you’re going to keep it low-key with a local hotel staycation, or take a cruise to bask on a sunny, white-sand beach in the Caribbean, or hit the slopes for some skiing or snowboarding, you have to take precautions to ensure your home stays safe while you’re away. After all, what could be worse than returning from a relaxing break or an active adventure to find a disaster has occurred, such as a break-in, or water or fire damage?
Protect your home while you're away
To help make sure that your vacation ends on a high note, follow these tips before you go.
- Check for any leaks and fix them. For example, ensure your refrigerator ice maker is not leaking!
- Set your heater at approximately 50 degrees to ensure pipes and appliances don’t freeze. But if you have pets and they are going to be in the house, set it closer to 72 degrees.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their comfort and safety: either board them or have a friend come over daily to care for them.
- Turn furnace and hot water heaters down.
- Unplug all appliances, such as coffee makers, toasters and exercise equipment.
- Leave a light or two on so the house doesn’t appear deserted at night.
- Lower blinds and close curtains so that passers-by can’t view your valuables.
- Leave a key with a trusted friend or neighbor so they can enter the home in case of emergency.
- Have a friend or neighbor bring in newspapers and mail or cancel delivery for both during the time when you’ll be away.
If you have the opportunity to get away for spring break, we wish you happy trails, and hope you come home to a safe and welcoming home! Would you like to have an agent review your home insurance coverages with you before you go? We'd be glad to help, at no cost!
At APIA Insurance we work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 1-800-890-5563 or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure that what's important to you is protected!
Here’s what customers are saying about APIA Insurance